- Why has the price increased?For the last few years, the diocese has been able to significantly subsidize the cost of the convention, and this has always been published on our website. This year, the diocese is still subsidizing the cost, but on a smaller scale. The price of approximately $245 will continue for the foreseeable future. This is only a $40 increase from the base price of the last few years. Without the diocese’s subsidies, the convention would cost upwards of $300, and that’s exactly what people used to pay 6+ years ago at the same venue!
GOOD NEWS THOUGH! All your contributions towards this year’s NWCYC accommodations are tax deductible! You will receive an e-mail at the end of the year with an official donations tax receipt, the sender is St. Mina Coptic Church of Calgary.
Remember, you can always fundraise in your churches to subsidize the cost further for your local youth! Some fundraising ideas include car wash, bake sale, selling snacks during mahragan nights, sports tournaments, BBQs, board game and ping pong nights, video game tournaments, a pie-ing contest (your servant are usually a good target……)
- But why does it cost that price?
We aim to choose a venue with good amenities that’s available within the busy summer months and that’s central to most churches.
- I finished grade 9 this year, can I come?
- No, the NWCYC demographic targets youth who have completed grade 10 and up. We look forward to seeing you next year and all the years after though!
- Do we get to hang out around the city of Kelowna itself?
- We’ll do our best to schedule time to visit the city as a group, however it is not permitted to leave our venue (UBC Okanagan campus) during regular schedule time.
- What are the rooms like?
- You’ll have your own private bedroom, with a shared bathroom with someone from your church from the same gender.
- What’s transportation like?
- Please note transportation is not included in the convention cost, and it may be an extra cost depending on your church (each church is arranging its own transportation). You will hear from your church representative about rides arrangements and their costs, PLEASE inform your church representative if you’re planning your own ride.
- What do I pack?
- The venue provides towels, bed sheets and pillows. Pack lightly (i.e. only one duffle bag). Include gym clothes and runners, appropriate clothing with 1 change of clothes halfway through each day, loose clothing to fight the heat. Boys: pack tonias, girls: pack head scarves.
- What’s the schedule?
- Working on it! The finalized schedule will be posted at nwcyc.com/schedule a few days before the convention, make sure to check it throughout the convention.
- How can I help out?
- How sweet of you! Ask your church representative what they need help with! There could be tasks like fundraising, arranging sports teams from your church, arranging transportation, arranging games for the road trip, getting snacks, and about 100 other tasks.